Re: Syscall tracing

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 13:46 -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
> > I'm not sure the following is equivalent, but I would word it thusly,
> >
> > 1) someone (kernel folks, whatever), supply information to libstrace2
> > (or whatever)
> >    [I only picked that name out of laziness, the point is to
> > (hopefully) keep the focus on providing what (apparently) strace2 was
> > going to be
> > 2) libstrace2 folks provide library to gdb (and everyone else that
> > wants to use it)
> > 3) gdb uses libstrace2
>
> Hit send too soon.  Blech.
> To complete the thought, I'd expect gdb folks to be writing the python
> (or c/c++) since it's code specific to gdb, but I also would expect
> that not much python needs to be written as most of the work would
> come from libstrace2 in an application independent form.

I don't have interest in developing a libstrace2, so if this is the
direction that folks would like to take, then someone else should take
this task.

I hope this didn't come out harsh. It's just a statement that I am only
interested in this functionality for GDB, and wouldn't like to take the
development overhead of creating a generic reusable component.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann