Re: Meeting Agenda 2008-08-06

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 11:06 -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Tom Tromey wrote:
> > * Andrew said that our existing dwarf-reading tools are insufficient.
> >   Andrew, I forgot to ask at the meeting -- what specifically do you
> >   need that we can't readily do now?
> >
> readelf, and clones, are too raw.  It is very hard to meaningfully map
> the information back to the source.

There are the dwarves tools:

        dwarves is a set of tools Iâve been writing that use the DWARF
        debugging information inserted in ELF binaries by compiler such
        as GCC , used by well known debuggers such as GDB, and more
        recent ones such as systemtap. Utilities in the dwarves suite
        include pahole, that can be used to find alignment holes in
        structs and classes in languages such as C, C++, but not limited
        to these, and other information such as CPU cacheline alignment,
        helping pack those structures to achieve more cache hits,
        codiff, a diff like tool to compare the effects changes in
        source code generate on the resulting binaries, pfunct, that can
        be used to find all sorts of information about functions,
        inlines, decisions made by the compiler about inlining, etc, to
        be continued.

http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2007/07/10/the-7-dwarves/
https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/melo-Reprint.pdf

Cheers,