Re: Python pretty-printers and non-ASCII strings do not play well together :-(

Paul>   UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 1-3: ordinal not in range(128)

Paul> Not so good :(

Yeah.

What should happen here, though?  The string contains invalid
characters for its declared (via set target-charset) encoding.

Paul> I've attempted to fix this, but my Python-Fu is not yet up to the
Paul> task, and I couldn't find any good referencese on Python/Unicode/C-API.

Paul> What are some of the good Python references?

I've been using info pages that I built from the Python sources -- but
only because I prefer using info when possible.

The same stuff is on python.org, e.g.:

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/ext/contents.html

or

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/api/api.html

IME the Python C API docs are spotty.  I spend a fair amount of time
looking through Google code search :(

Tom