Re: FYI: removing the libstdc++ pretty-printers

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 04:15:28 Tom Tromey wrote:

> Tom> They can check out just the libstdc++/python directory from gcc svn.
> Tom> Then they just need to work out the code to load the printers...
>
> Vladimir> This sounds scary. Suppose I've checked out that directory
> Vladimir> to /tmp/python.  What do I have to do to make gdb use that?
>
> I think something like:
>
> cd /tmp
> svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk/libstdc++-v3/python
>
> cat >> ~/.gdbinit << END
> python
> import sys
> sys.path.insert(0, '/tmp/python')
> from libstdcxx.v6.printers import register_libstdcxx_printers
> register_libstdcxx_printers (None)
> END

Uh-oh.

> Yes, a bit scary.
>
> IIUC the scenario here is a user who is stuck with an older GCC but
> who upgrades GDB and wants to use the pretty-printers.  I think users
> like that can handle this.

In other words, you think that user with GDB 7.0 but "older" GCC is necessary
a power-user? I don't think it's true -- given that GDB and GCC releases are
coordinated, and I would like for KDevelop users to be able to just get GDB 7.0,
and have access to STL pretty-printers.

I think I'd agree with the other suggestion made in this thread -- keep those
visualizers in GDB for a while, until Python interfaces are known to work fine,
and until other projects ship releases that also include visualizers.

- Volodya