Re: gdbstub initial code, another approach

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:51:22 +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> Yes, as I said I personally do not believe in in-kernel gdbstub too much.
> If nothing else, I bet it will be never merged upstream. Unless at least
> this code will also have the more "traditional" user-space API which is
> immediately clear to the reviewers on lkml.

I find knfsd is a precedent, isn't it?  It contains some compatibility-kludges
(such as the SUNRPC layer used only for nfs) and still the filesystem
operations are AFAIK fully kernel-side.

NFS is a well-established protocol such as the gdbserver one and both need
high performance of their server-side execution.

> Or remote debugging via tcp. We need the user-space helper anyway.

There is rpc.nfsd as the userland wrapper, I do not find a problem if such
program would exist for ugdb.

> Or two modes, all-stop and non-stop. Imho, the kernel shouldn't even
> know about this. Or register renumbering.

The NFS protocol also isn't perfect.

Thanks,
Jan