Re: gas: .align padding

   Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:32:00 +0000
   From: Andrew Morton <akpm@bigfoot.com>

   When padding .aligns gas seems to put random gunk into the object file
   instead of nops or nulls. Can this be fixed?

I assume your questions about this have been answered.

   I've noticed that if you have "." ahead of /usr/bin in $PATH then
   binutils' configure script fails mysteriously.  It turns out this is
   because collect2 is trying to execute the directory 'ld' in the binutils
   toplevel.

   I'm sure this is a known gcc problem (libiberty/pexecute, perhaps?), but
   don't we think something a bit more user friendly can be done?

This has been fixed in gcc.  However, I don't think the fix is in the
2.95 releases.  It will be in later releases.  So from my perspective
this is a temporary problem which does not need to be addressed in the
binutils.

Wed Aug  4 01:43:01 1999  Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@zembu.com>

	* gcc.c (access_check): New static function.
	(find_a_file): Use it when searching a directory list.
	* collect2.c (find_a_file): Don't accept directories found when
	searching a directory list.

   Finally...  I'd like to be wildly unorthodox here and actually
   congratulate you folks on the GNU development system.

On behalf of the many people who work on the GNU binutils, thanks.

Ian