prior art?

Hi,

We're writing a persistent store (http://field.medicine.adelaide.edu.au) and
are looking at improving its functionality by assuming (or subverting) some of
the functions of libdl.so.

One of the things libdl.so does (under Linux) is permit symbols defined on the
primary executable to override those defined in shared libs.  I intend to use
this to redirect some relocations into our coldstore.

This entails generation of symbols, and I will certainly be using bfd to
handle that.

As I was reading the bfd.info, a strange thought occurred to me:  since bfd
will write-out symbol tables, and since (as far as I know) symbol tables and
the rest of the executable are mmap()ed into the address space, can bfd modify
the symbol table of a running executable by opening it and just ... rewriting
it?

Colin.