.gnu.linkonce COFF support

Hello Ian and the list,
Some questions about possibilities for DJGPP COFF. Would enabling
.gnu.linkonce.* for DJGPP COFF improve template support much over
what weak symbols do already? This would require enabling the long
section name feature (> 8 characters) , but it can be turned on by one
line.

And from what I can gather from reading the source, existing object
files would still be readable by the new binutils binaries produced (ld,
objdump, etc). without this feature. Did I read correctly? And also new
object files using just short names produced with the long section
name feature would be readable by old binutils binaries?

Mark
---
Mark Elbrecht, snowball3@bigfoot.com
http://snowball.frogspace.net/