Re: An i386 fp register name patch

   Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:34:51 +0930 (CST)
   From: Alan Modra <alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au>

     As you probably know, we already allow spaces in lots of places.  eg.
	   mov % al , 5 ( % ebp , % ebx , 1 )
   Notice that no spaces are allowed *in* a register name, or for that
   matter in an instruction mnemonic.  eg.
	   mov $1, % a l
   is illegal.

   So there is a philosophical question as to whether "st(1)" is really an
   indivisible register name token or not.  You seem to say that the register
   name is "st" with an index, so therefore we should allow spaces, eg.
   "st ( 1 )".  I'm inclined to say that "st(1)" is really just a name like
   any other register name, so spaces shouldn't be allowed (or if we do
   allow spaces here then why not in "% a l" - something I don't like).

While philosophically %st(1) is a single register name, I think that
given the format of the name we should allow spaces around the
parenthesis.  ``Be liberal in what you accept.''

On the other hand, I don't think we should accept "% a l".  That just
seems too error prone.

Ian