Re: Dealing with broken ELF libraries

   Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 17:02:11 -0600
   From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

   It turns out that you can't do a pure static link on hpux11 -- too many things
   missing from hp's libraries.  So we've got to make dynamic linking work from
   day 1.  Ugh so much for building some quick code I can use to test basic
   relocations. :(

FYI, the same is true on typical Irix systems.  However, SGI ran their
SPECmark testing using static libraries, since they run faster.
Therefore, by the SPEC rules SGI had to supply the static libraries
they used, and they are enough to link simple programs.

I don't know if HP tried anything similar.

Ian