Re: re gdb-4.18 & binutils

   Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "D.J. Barrow" <barrow_dj@yahoo.com>

   The latest stable version of gdb ( 4.18 ) is based on
   binutils 2.9.4 while the lastest stable offical
   release of the binutils is 2.9.1.

gdb isn't based on the binutils.  I assume you mean that the version
associated with the BFD library distributed with gdb is 2.9.4.
However, 2.9.4 is not a particular version of the BFD library.  The
internal version number was 2.9.4 for over a year.  The only way to
characterize the version of the BFD library distributed with gdb is to
describe it the gdb 4.18 BFD library.

I don't know why you want to build gdb 4.18 with the BFD library from
binutils 2.9.1.  I can't think of any reason to do that.

There is no reason to make different releases of the binutils and of
gdb share the same BFD library.  In fact, that is likely to fail.

   As we are attempting to make a stable distribution of
   these utilites how long do we need to wait until a
   stable gdb4.18 compatible version of binutils gets
   officially posted. ( 2.9.1 is now a year & a half old
   ).

I'm afraid I have no idea when the next binutils release will be.
However, you shouldn't need one in order to use gdb 4.18.  The BFD
library of the next binutils release will not work with gdb 4.18 any
more than the BFD library of the last binutils release does.

Ian