Re: Patch for gas/doc/internals.texi

   Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:30:21 +0100
   From: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com>

   I hope the way line_separator_chars work is deliberate,
   I thought they *did* break up comment lines.

I think that for most assemblers, any character can appear after a
comment character, including a line separator character.  Otherwise,
writing comments is a pain.  I'd be interested to hear whether anybody
knows of a counter-example.

   I'm a bit curious over the apparent md_create_short_jump flaw;
   it's only benefit over md_create_long_jump seems to be that it
   will jump over a *multiple* of md_create_long_jump:s rather than
   to an arbitrary location (case-label equivalent) in the function.

It only has to jump over as many long jumps as can appear in a single
frag.  This is not an unbounded number, although offhand I'm not sure
what the bound is.  If this ever actually becomes a problem, we can
limit the size of a frag when WORKING_DOT_WORD is not defined.

The whole broken word thing is only used for a few targets anyhow, and
is not, and should not be, used for any new targets.  If it's been
working this long without trouble, it probably doesn't have any fatal
flaws.

Ian