objcopy --redefine-sym

linux objcopy has option --redefine-sym that is useful when
one is trying link two things together and there are collisions
[and you have little control over the two things you're trying to
link together].

Example: objcopy --redefine-sym=foo=bar libfoo.a

HJ: Can you send the patch to this list?
[I didn't see any reference to it in the mailing list archives
so I'm guessing it hasn't been submitted (recently at least).]

Ian: Can it go into the tree?
[I didn't see it in current sources.]