Re: binutils development (was Re: Problems building binutils-000220 snapshot)

   Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:21:04 -0500
   From: Ken Block USG <block@zk3.dec.com>

   >  The compiler already provides c++filt, so there already is a mechanism
   > for using an up to date demangler with the binutils: pipe the output
   > through c++filt.  That is how the linker already works, in fact, when
   > invoked via the gcc compiler driver.  The builtin demangler is already
   > the last resort.

   c++filt is not going to work when demangling from inside a program, like
   gdb for example.

You can simply run it in a subprocess.  People already use addr2line
in that way, rather than worrying about linking against BFD.

Again, I'm not opposed to creating a shared library interface.  It
would be more convenient in certain respects.  But I think I'm correct
in observing that it's not going to get into the gcc sources riding on
the coattails of something else.  It needs to be sold on its own
right.  And, for that matter, it shouldn't be specific to GNU/Linux.

Ian