Re: New partial_inplace comment

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:12:17 -0800
 >    From: Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com>
 >
 >    How can partial linking work on a USE_REL target for relocations
 >    that have partial_inplace == FALSE?!
 >    I suspect what's going on is that in fact such relocations _do_
 >    have partial_inplace == TRUE from a semantic point of view, but either
 >    - the implementation doesn't use partial_inplace (so any value will do)
 >    - the implementation would like to set partial_inplace to TRUE, but
 >      something breaks somewhere
 >    - the implementation, while not broken, is confused
 >    - the implementation is broken
 >
 > Do you want to point out any cases you find confusing?

m32r and d10v are both USE_REL.
However, for what are (superficially) similar relocs
(R_D10V_16/R_M32R_16, R_D10V_32/R_M32R_32)
d10v sets partial_inplace to false, m32r sets it to true.
The intuitively correct choice is `true' (right?).
Intuition tells me either the d10v port has had to go to extra lengths
to be correct or it has a bug (though fixing it may involve a
non-upward compatible change: can you change partial_inplace on a
USE_REL target in an upward compatible manner?  I dunno.).