AW: AIX4.3.2: problem with 64-bit .o's

> As far as I know, 64 bit AIX objects are not supported.  (On the other
> hand, I actually didn't even realize that the new archive format was
> supported.)  What do you see in BFD that makes it look like 64 bit AIX
> object files are supported?
./configure --enable-64bit-bfd

>        # if linked by GNU ld, but not if linked by the native ld."
>    mean in binutils-000322/configure.in ?
> It means what it says.  The GNU linker does not work on versions of
> AIX later than 4.1.5.  The comment describes a way to find a bug.
> AIX uses an unusual object file format, the linker is required to do
> unusual things, and the documentation is rather poor when it exists at

Yes, XCOFF is sick...
To make shlibs, you have to provide an export lists with symbols that
have to be put in the shlib... pfff...
ELF is so much easier. Let's replace AIX with Linux ;)

> all.  A lot of the AIX support had to be figured out by reverse
> engineering the AIX linker, and by putting the code out there to see
> what broke.  I lost interest in doing that after AIX 4.1.5.  I don't
> think there has been a substantial change to the AIX linker support in
> bfd/xcofflink.c since early 1998.  It would be great if somebody fixed
> the linker up to work for later versions of AIX; I don't know of
> anybody doing that work.

Ok, I see... that's unfortunate :(
If we can get gdb to work properly, it's ok...

But we also have a strange problem with g++, which I suspect is caused
by the fact that we're compiling with g++ (GCC 2.95.2) and linking with
the IBM linker... but I'll post that on the g++-list.

Well, we'll have to work it out using the IBM linker, then... :\

Thanks ;)

--
  -o)  Pascal Bleser        | Those who  do  not  understand
  /\\  C++/UNIX Development | Unix are condemned to reinvent