Re: old cvs achive

   Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:31:53 +1000 (EST)
   From: Alan Modra <alan@linuxcare.com.au>

   The current binutils CVS archive doesn't seem to go back that far.  Does
   one exist for earlier stuff?  I'd like to go back to at least mid 1998.

Before sourceware, the binutils CVS repository was internal to Cygnus.
That CVS repository includes code which is confidential to Cygnus
customers.  Cygnus has a process for removing confidential code, which
was used before a release or snapshot was made.  That process was run
once before bringing the code onto the sourceware system.

The upshot is that people outside Cygnus can not look at the Cygnus
CVS repository, including all the changes made before the sourceware
import.  Stripping the confidential information out of the Cygnus CVS
repository in order to make it public would be quite a bit of work,
and the return would be low.

Cygnus has kindly permitted me to retain a guest account there, so if
you have any specific questions, I can answer them.

In retrospect, we should have imported the old public binutils
releases into sourceware before importing the development sources.
That would have provided some sense of historical change.  Too late
now, though.

Ian