Re: elfppc.sc removal

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:15:39 +0100
> From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.co.uk>

> I'm curious about an anomaly I just noticed in the newly-gone elfppc.sc. It
> references crtbegin.o and crtend.o. However for the target powerpc-eabi,
> the files that provide __CTOR_LIST__ etc. are actually ecrti.o and ecrtn.o.

This is true.  It was causing some C++ testsuite
failures---constructor priorities didn't work (because when the
sections were sorted __CTOR_LIST__ became in the middle of the
constructor section).

> Is there any reason that powerpc-eabi-gcc doesn't use crtstuff?

It was historical.  It used to be that crtstuff couldn't be
multilibbed.  It can now, and by an odd coincidence just before you
sent your e-mail I changed GCC so that it uses crtbegin/crtend on
powerpc-eabi.

I'd like one day to change it further so that it runs constructors
from crt0 rather than from a function called from main().

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>