Re: m68k gas fp register lists?

Brad Parker <brad@parker.boston.ma.us> wrote:

> I built binutils-000425 on a FreeBSD system, cross compiling for m68k.
> As an experiment I tried to build part of the linux-2.2.14 kernel.
>
> I found that some valid 68k instructions would generate parse errors.  This
> seems odd to me, since Linux uses gcc/gas as it's compiler.  It makes me
> think I did something wrong building gas...
>
> Any idea why these instructions would generate parse errors?  Adding
> -m68020 or -m68040 did not help.
>
> I configured with:
>
> configure --host=i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.3 --target=m68k-elf --prefix=/opt/gcc-m68k -v

I tried your testcase (on current CVS trunk, on a 4.3BSD host, targeting
m68k-elf just like you did), and it works for me (but see below about the CPU
type). Can you try the current CVS trunk and see if it works for you? If it
doesn't, post a concrete testcase, with a small assembly source and the exact
error messages you are getting.

> These fail:
>
> 	pmove	%a0@,%tt0
> 	pmove	%a0@,%tt1

They work for me, but they are 68030 instructions, so assemble with -m68030.

> 	fmoveml	%fpcr/%fpsr/%fpiar,%a0@(TASK_TSS+TSS_FPCNTL)
> 	fmoveml	%a1@(TASK_TSS+TSS_FPCNTL),%fpcr/%fpsr/%fpiar

These also work for me, with any options other than -mno-68881, as these are
normal float instructions.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)