Re: stabs and N_EXCL

   Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 02:09:10 +0000
   From: Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>

   > I suppose we could avoid such problems in general by using a CRC, or
   > an MD5 checksum.  It seems like overkill, though.  To avoid the
   > problem you describe, the hash function in bfd_hash_lookup should
   > suffice.

   Well, that is certainly one possible solution. However, the size of the
   string to pass to bfd_hash_lookup() can potentially be quite large

I did not mean to literally pass a string to bfd_hash_lookup.  I meant
to use the same hash function that bfd_hash_lookup uses.

   The other solution is a CRT function of some sort, which would accept
   a string and return an intermediate CRC value; the main loop will
   call it repeatedly for each stabs string, after "smartly" stripping
   some information from it, and then use the final CRC value as the hash.

This is how CRC functions are normally implemented: incrementally.

Ian