RE: bfd/peigen.c problems and fix

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Donn Terry wrote:

> 4) Changing so it will believe the DataDirectory even in the presence
>    of an .idata or .edata section.  I've never seen a situation where
>    there is a .idata or .edata, AND the DataDirectory doesn't point to
>    .idata (resp .edata) but I don't see that the change hurts anything.
>    (My objective in writing the code that way was to preserve the (long)
>    prior behavior of using .idata or .edata exclusively, and to fall
>    back to the DataDirectory only in their absence.  If no-one cares
>    to preserve that ancient behavior, then the patch is an improvement.)

I committed a patch that looks for .idata if the DataDirectory address and
size are both zero, just in case some objects have an idata section but
no data directory.

>    (If I may speculate... this was the first fix made, and when it still
>    didn't work then the ImageBase fix came next.  Or did someone actually
>    run into an file with .[ie]data and a DataDirectory that didn't match?)

No, the ImageBase fix came first, to allow mingw to create exe's that
actually ran.  I next made some changes so that "objdump -p" worked
instead of crashing.  szaka contributed some further fixes.  .idata
section versus DataDirectory changes were me cleaning up the code,
possibly a foolish move.

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.