Re: change for configuring on FreeBSD

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:38:02AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> I simply don't have the time to work on 2.10. Unless 2.10 has all
> the patches in the main trunk I like, I don't think I can do anything
> about it.

IMHO, this shows a weakness in the Binutils release cycle stratagy.

Branching and then polishing for a .0 release has never worked for
FreeBSD.  Instead near a .0 release, we enter a code slush in which only
things that fix bugs and thing that don't stability can be committed.
Then a code freeze is entered.  The gets all the developers to put their
energy into the release.  I wonder how many of the Binutils developers
are not putting any time into the 2.10 release due to this.

The current method also means that things added during the slush/freeze
peroid make it into the release.  There has been 2 months of development
since the 2.10 branch was created -- that's 2 months of fixes and
features.

The FreeBSD way would then be to create the 2.10 branch at the 2.10
release.  Then only bug fixes and safe enhancements, etc.. enter that
branch and would be in 2.10.{1,2,etc.}

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)