Re: RFA: cygwin-specific patch for ldfile.c

   Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:02:14 -0400
   From: "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>

   > Thanks.  Your patch isn't right, though, since you are testing a
   > target characteristic with a host #ifdef, which is pretty much always
   > wrong in the binutils.  Look at the open_dynamic_archive emulation
   > entry point.

   Okay. You can understand my confusion, though, since right next to the
   spot affected by my patch is an '#ifdef VMS' block.

Yes, I can understand the confusion.

The cases are actually subtly different.  The VMS case (which is
probably a botch anyhow) is due to differences in file name handling
on a VMS host.  It is appropriate regardless of the target.  Your
proposed change is to handle differences in file name handling on a
cygwin target.

Think about what a cross-compiler should do: a cross-compiler running
on cygwin to some other platform, or a cross-compiler running on Unix
to cygwin.

Ian