Re: Psossible problem with gas on MIPS

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Koundinya.K wrote:

> li.s: Assembler messages:
> li.s:3: Error: Can not represent BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2 relocation in this
> object file format
>
> Could this be a possible bug in gas ?. I am looking at the source too. Could
> someone having access to MIPS boxes try this test case and verify ?

  I recall myself discussing this issue here back in October.  The
conclusion was that due to a limited range and thus a questionable
usefulness relocations for branches are not defined by the MIPS ELF ABI.
I prepared a patch to map BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2 to R_MIPS_PC16 then but it
got rejected as not being ABI-compliant.

 A R_MIPS_PC16 relocation that the vendor-supplied as generates in not
appropriate for branches.  That's beacuse R_MIPS_PC16 is defined as a
simple difference between two addresses in the ABI while for branches you
need a shifted left by two difference.