Re: Problem with libtool and aclocal

At 10:54 AM 6/21/00 +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Syd Polk wrote:
> > At 10:11 AM 6/21/00 +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> > >OK, can we see your patches please?  Post them to the binutils list;
> > >There are many people reading this list with more experience in configury
> > >issues than I have.
> >
> > Patches to libtool.m4? Or patches to aclocal.m4 and configure? These files
> > are autogenerated by aclocal and autoconf, and the patches are usually
> > quite heinous.
>
>Excuse me for being a little dense.  After re-reading your original mail,
>I assume you want to update one or more of the versions of autoconf,
>automake, and libtool that are supposed to be used by binutils
>maintainers.  Since it was intended that binutils eventually move to
>released versions of these tools, and we have a late May release of
>libtool, that sounds like a good idea.
>
>Note that it's not sufficient to just check in generated files that have
>been created by newer tools, because the next autoconf or automake run by
>one of the maintainers will undo any fixes.  You need to post an
>announcement that you've put new snapshots of the configury tools on
>sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils/, and ask that all maintainers please
>update their tools.

I am sorry that I was so short with you. I understand your question now.
There has been no official release of libtool with the new change yet. The
patch just went in earlier this week. I don't really know what to do from here.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.