Re: What won't this objcopy split work?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
> : I'm producing code for a 16-bit h8/300h cpu, and want to
> : generate an srec file for all the even bytes, and an srec
> : file for all the odd bytes, using objcopy:
> :
> : h8300-hms-objcopy --output-target=srec --interleave=2
> :                           --byte=1 flash.coff flodd.srec
> :
> : However, it responds with flodd.srec: illegal operation
> :
> : What can be wrong?
>
> I am not sure.  I was able to run the same command (admittedly with a
> different input file) on my test machine and it gave me no problems.
> Also when I searched through the sources I could not find the 'illegal
> operation' error message anywhere!

Sounds like the message is coming from the operating system then.
Russell, you said you're running Linux, but what platform, and what
version of libc?  Also, what type of filesystem is flodd.srec on?
If it's NFS, try doing the objcopy on a local filesytem instead.

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.