Re: assembly directives

Hi,

In the as info manual, there is a list of .<directives>, ie, that aren't
command-line options.

Also, you could try the manual specific to your as build. Eg, i use the
H8/3048, so i can do "info h8300-hms-as", which gives different info to
"info as".

To find the machine specifics that aren't in the manuals such as
parameter-passing conventions, register use, etc, you need to look
in the sources such as machine.h iirc. Archives of binutils and gcc
lists will have answers referring to this kind of thing. I can't be
too specific at the moment because i'm trying to figure how to set
up my web-browser for linux (i'm in windoze right now).

"Spahr, John" wrote:

> >"info as" has a list of directives.
>
> Thanx for the reply, but I'm more interested in assembly directives, not
> command line options. For example .word 'expression'. The definition from
> using as is:
>
> "This directive expects zero or more expressions, of any section, separated
> by commas. The size of the number emitted, and its byte order, depend on
> what target computer the assembly is for."
>
> That doesn't tell me much of what it is for. I'm looking for more info than
> this explanation. Possibly examples and not only for this directive, but all
> the others. I was thinking there was probably a textbook or something which
> can give me this info, but I can't seem to find anything.

*   Russell Shaw, B.Eng, M.Eng(Research)  *
*      email: russell@webaxs.net          *
*      Australia                          *