Re: Patch: Re: bug in ld -rpath ??

   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:58:37 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
   Cc: kettenis@wins.uva.nl, brownb@jany.gs.com, binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com

   On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 03:40:55PM -0700, Nick Clifton wrote:

   >    * Add code to the ..._after_open() function to display the searches
   >      (both successful and failed) for needed libraries when the
   >      -verbose switch is used.  (Searches for libraries specified on
   >      the command line are shown with this option, and I believe that
   >      it would be helpful to have the needed library searches shown as
   >      well).

   The current ld will complain if it cannot find the needed library. I
   added some code to do

   found the needed DSO libused_by_a.so at /home/hjl/bugs/gas/rpath/a/../u/libused_by_a.so
   found the DSO libused_by_a.so needed by a/liba.so

   with -verbose. I output 2 lines since there is no easy way to get all
   information in one place.  Is that ok?

I find those two message pretty incomprehensible, especially if it is
possible that they do not immediately follow eachother.  I think it
would be better if the order was reversed, i.e.

   libused_by_a.so needed by a/liba.so
   found libused_by_a.so at /home/hjl/bugs/gas/rpath/a/../u/libused_by_a.so

I don't think using DSO in the message is a good thing except when
this term is used consistently all over binutils.  It may confuse
people who haven't seen the abbreviation before, and I don't think it
adds any useful information, especially when the library names in .so
anyway.

I think it would be a good idea to mention how the DSO was found
(i.e. -rpath, -rpath-link, DT_RPATH, LD_RUN_PATH, standard search
directories) like the GNU ld.so does.  That would be a big help in
resolving problems with conflicting search dirs.  I don't know if this
is easy to implement though.

Mark