Re: A symbol version patch for glibc 2.x compatibility

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 10:40:28PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> As a practical matter, you should not need the EI_OSABI field to run a
> GNU/Linux binary on FreeBSD; you just need to provide a dynamic
> interpreter at the appropriate path which sets GNU/Linux compatibility
> mode.

I believe you are saying just read the path of the dynamic interpreter
and run the binary using that.  If so, that does not completely address
the situation as static binaries don't have an interpreter.  On FreeBSD
we have to manually brand Linux binaries such as `ldconfig' since it is a
static binary.  I know someone will say to read the `.note.ABI-tag'
section.  But this is not in the specification, where as `EI_OSABI' is
and that is what FreeBSD has chosen to follow to date.

> That said, I do not think it would be incorrect to set the EI_OSABI
> field to ELFOSABI_LINUX when the binutils are configured for a
> GNU/Linux target.

To tell the truth I'm still trying to understand why it isn't incorrect
to not do so.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)