Re: sh-elf: the substraction of two symbols

> > Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:50:08 +0900
> > From: kaz Kojima <kkojima@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
>
> > Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> wrote:
> > > You're changing the type of R_SH_REL32 to be partial_inplace
> > > (about like it from RELA to REL) with further adjustments to
> > > make *that* change work.  I think instead you should make gas
> > > and the linker set rel->r_offset right for R_SH_REL32 and
> > > section symbols.
> >
> > It seems that almost SH ELF relocations doesn't use addend in
> > usual way besides their type is RELA. I think it's intentional.
>
> I believe the current contents of the HOWTO table is
> intentional, without there being implications that all
> relocations (in particular R_SH_REL32), be partial_inplace from
> the fact that most of the other relocations are.

Just as a side note:

As a major user of the sh-elf toolchain, we'd (Sega) actually prefer it
to use the REL relocation type instead of RELA.

I have received numerous complaints that the relocation info is too
large due to the usage of the RELA relocation type.

Also the Hitachi SHC toolchain uses REL relocations as well
so it would increase compatibility with other toolchains.

Toshi