Re: A patch for elf32.em (Re: GNU/Linux vs. libtool --no-undefined)

On 06-Feb-2001, H . J . Lu <hjl@valinux.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:00:40PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > In any case, doing this searching for a shared library seems
> > counterintuitive.
> >
> > The original error appears to be warning about an undefined symbol
> > reference from a shared library.  Is that so?

In my case, yes.  I'm not sure about the original error that Mark
Mitchell encountered with gcc.  But I encountered a similar issue with
the Mercury compiler, and in that case, yes, the references were coming
from libc.so.

> > If it is, then I think
> > the linker should be fixed to not warn about undefined references from
> > shared libraries, even when --no-undefined is used.  We care whether
> > each reference is satisfied somewhere.  I don't think we care whether
> > each shared library included in the link has all symbols satisfied.
> > Do we?
>
> I think the warning comes from building DSOs.

Yes.

> It is the resulting DSO who has undefine symbols.

The undefined symbols are referenced from libc.so,
*not* directly from the DSO that is being built.