Old PLT in elf64-alpha via ld --traditional-format?

NetBSD uses the old-style three-word PLT entries in its shared objects and
dynamically linked programs, resulting in a hack to elf64-alpha.c for
NetBSD/alpha.  We will be moving to the new PLT format in later NetBSD
releases, but in order to keep compatibility in the toolchain (and make
newer binutils still work on older released NetBSD systems), I wanted to
come up with a dynamic way to produce the old style PLT at link time.

At the moment, nothing in the elf64-alpha BFD target makes use of
BFD_TRADITIONAL_FORMAT, meaning that "ld --traditional-format" does nothing
special on the alpha.  Would there be serious objection to making this
produce binaries from ld which use the old PLT format?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/