Re: [RFA] Make LIB_PATH configurable

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 04:58:01PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:34:17PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Cygwin is evolving an odd directory layout for some of its libraries.
>> Specifically, ld needs to search .../lib/w32api as well as .../lib .
>>
>> The only way I could find to accomodate this behavior was to use
>> the LIB_PATH variable in the ld Makefile.
>>
>> I need to search /blah/i686-pc-cygwin/lib and /blah/i686-pc-cygwin/lib/w32api
>> in a cross building environment and /usr/lib, /usr/lib/w32api in a native
>> environment.
>>
>> I can get the /usr/lib, /usr/lib/w32api behavior by modifying configure.host.
>> The cross-build environment is a little problematic, however.
>>
>> The ld README seems to indicate that LIB_PATH variable in Makefile.in is
>> useful for doing what I need.  The problem is that this was not a configurable
>> setting.  It was apparently intended to be hand edited by a user?
>>
>> The patch below makes this variable settable by configure.  Currently, only
>> cygwin uses it, so the net effect is still the same as previously.
>>
>> Does this change make any sense or am I overlooking some other mechanism
>> for accomplishing what I want to do?
>
>What I've been doing is just this:
>
>../configure --args
>make MAKE="make LIB_PATH=/lib/dir/1:/lib/dir/2"

Um, yeah, I could do that.  Or something like that.  It would have to be
something like:

LIB_PATH=/lib/dir/1:/lib/dir2 make

though.  This is what the README sort of suggests but it is certainly
not in the spirit of GNU configury.  I don't want to have to tell
anyone who configures a cross compiler for cygwin to do this.  That
is what configure is for.

>And that seems to work, but is not elegant.  While you're at it, could
>you make this overrideable by a --with option?  Please?

That's possible, if my patch is incorporated, but it is outside of the
scope if what I'm trying to do.

Wait.  I'm confused.  First you were telling me to use environment
variables then you were asking for a --with option.  I assume that your
request for a --with option means that you think that adding LIB_PATH
control to configure.in is desirable?

cgf