Re: [RFA] Make LIB_PATH configurable

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> >I don't understand why you need to do this in a cross-configuration.
> >In a cross-configuration you're in complete control of where the
> >libraries are installed.  Why not install all the libraries in the lib
> >directory?
>
> Because the makefile which installs the .a files puts them in a
> subdirectory.  I could, of course, attempt to detect when this is happening
> in a cross-build environment but that seems sort of pointless.  Why
> not have the cross build mimic the native directory structure if
> possible?

cygwin is a weird case.  But if you suggested that for some other
operating system, such as Solaris, and said something like ``why not
mimic the separation of /usr/lib and /usr/ccs/lib in a cross
environment?'' my only response would be ``you could do that, but why
bother?''

A cross environment is not a native environment.  There's no special
reason for them to use a similar directory structure.  There may be
other reasons to use a similar directory structure, but similarity to
the native environment is not one of them.  In fact, the issue you
encountered with the linker is actually an argument for the directory
structures to be different.

Ian