Re: binutils-2.11 ld testsuite problems + PATCH

Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> >                 === ld Summary ===
> >
> > # of expected passes            10
> > # of unexpected failures        7
> > # of untested testcases         9
> >
> > At this point, I'm so new that I can't debug these FAILs without
> > some pointers.  What should I do, and where should I start?
>
> A more detailed description of the testsuite run can be found in
> <build_dir>/ld/ld.log and the failing binaries will probably be
> locates in <build_dir>/ld/tmpdir.  The sources for the tests are in
> <source_dir>/ld/testsuite/*
>
> Basically, you need to look through ld.log to find out what went
> wrong.  The look at the test source files and the expect script
> (*.exp) in the relevent test source subdirectory.  It may be that the
> tests are expected to fail for your particular target, or there may be
> real bugs.
>
> Cheers
>         Nick

Hi Nick,

  Thanks for the followup.  I took a look at the ld.log file
and found another indication that binutils ld has a problem
finding -lc on my host.  Here's what I saw:

lt-ld-new: cannot find -lc
FAIL: bootstrap

lt-ld-new: cannot find -lc
FAIL: bootstrap with strip

lt-ld-new: cannot find -lc
FAIL: bootstrap with --static

lt-ld-new: cannot find -lc
FAIL: bootstrap with --traditional-format

lt-ld-new: cannot find -lc
FAIL: bootstrap with --no-keep-memory

lt-ld-new: Dwarf Error: Can't find .debug_abbrev section.
tmpdir/sr1.o(.debug_info+0x6): undefined reference to `__abbr_table_1.0'
lt-ld-new: Dwarf Error: Can't find .debug_abbrev section.
tmpdir/sr2.o(.debug_info+0x6): undefined reference to `__abbr_table_1.0'
FAIL: S-records

PASS: undefined
PASS: undefined function
FAIL: undefined line