Re: "Warning: size of symbol FOO changed from X to Y in OBJ"

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 10:46:38AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > Hi H.J.
> >
> > > I have no objections to revert my patch. I will leave it to Nick.
> > >
> > > BTW, I believe "Warning: size of symbol FOO changed from X to Y in OBJ"
> > > is a fatal error if X > Y.
> >
> > OK, let's do the right thing.  H.J.  If you would please revert your
> > patch, and then, if you wish, fix styp_to_sec_flags and
> > make_a_section_from_file to repoprt and handle errors.  If not, then I
> > will try to do so myself sometime during the next week.
>
> I'd like to see a testcase for the problem before we do anything.

The current code is obviously wrong.  That has nothing to do with any
issues related to the size of symbol.

If the symbol size should be treated as a fatal error, then
elf_link_add_object_symbols should return false in that case.

The linker should not second guess BFD.  That makes no sense at all.

Ian