Re: Binutuls is broken now.

Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com> writes:

> > > Ian has made the
> > > suggesttion to allow any files without relocations. I think it is
> > > a good idea.
> >
> > But it doesn't work.
>
> ... from ELF to a.out-cris because of this:
>
> Thu Nov  9 13:01:31 1995  Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@cygnus.com>
> 	* aoutx.h (NAME(aout,final_link)): Report a reasonable error when
> 	trying to do a relocateable link with a non-a.out object file.
>
> I'll make a patch along the lines of checking HAS_RELOC as Ian
> suggested.
>
> Maybe there's reason to revert the above (if it is indeed safe
> in absence of HAS_RELOC), but I don't really need that
> functionality myself.

Simply checking HAS_RELOC at that point is not enough.  There is code
later in the function which assumes that it can freely refer to a.out
relocation information.  However, I agree that the function can be
cleaned up to better support the case of no relocations.

I put a FIXME above the error message for further work to be done by
anybody who cares sufficiently, although I'm not sure I still entirely
agree with what I said then.

Ian