generalize bfd_get_sign_extend_vma ?

Hi guys,
I've just about got dwarf2 debugging to work with djgpp coff. gdb needs a
patch to tell the coff symbol reading routine to read in dwarf2 info when
present. Which leaves one last problem. The dwarf2 reader uses
bfd_get_sign_extend_vma, but it only works with elf. And I need this to work
with djgpp, or else the dwarf2 reader in gdb aborts. When I patch this
function to return a value right for the x86, I can successfully debug (step
through, etc.) programs built with dwarf2 info.

I would like this function generalized so it works with all targets.
Shouldn't information like what 'bfd_get_sign_extend_vma' returns be in
bfd_arch_info and not in an object file format's backend?

Mark