Re: ssnop for mips

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:42:06PM -0700, cgd@sibyte.com wrote:

> The behavior, and that name, are unique to MIPS32 and MIPS64 (and
> chips which implement that specific instruction), but definitely _do
> not_ go back to MIPS I or even MIPS IV AFAIK.

Correct for MIPS I, II and III but wrong as for MIPS IV - R8000 has ssnop.

> The disassembly case is obvious: if you want to dissassemble MIPS32 /
> MIPS64 instructions in a binary that's not marked MIPS32 or MIPS64,
> then you should do so with a -m flag or similar.
>
> you don't disassemble random non-conflicting instructions for MIPS I,
> just because they're non-conflicting, eh?

I would like to see -m disassemble-the-damn-thing as the default.  Much of
the code I produce is supposed to work beyond the barriers of a certain ISA
and at times there is no single -m options that makes objdump disassemble
everything.  Similarly objdump's behaviour of only disassembling stuff
that has explicitly been marked as code using .type; I did very much
prefer the old behaviour of disassembling everything in sections that are
marked to contain code.

  Ralf