Re: a bunch of MIPS GAS testsuite failures.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:21:38AM -0700, cgd@sibyte.com wrote:
> > > 	These (and the XPASSes for "MIPS64 reloc 2")
> > > 	are due to incorrect marking of little-endian MIPS as
> > > 	"traditional mips."  I dunno why that was done, but it seems
> > > 	to have been done intentionally.
> >
> > The non-traditional mips is SGI'ish, they don't make little endian
> > MIPS machines. So treating little endian as traditional is a wrong
> > but half-working approach.
>
> (This was also briefely discussed in
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-07/msg00379.html, which
> started off-list.)
>
> To recap, I have two issues here:
>
> (1) regardless of what should be done for little-endian MIPS in terms
> of "traditional" vs not, right now the testsuite and the configury do
> not agree as to what little-endian MIPS actually use.
>
> (2) historically, little-endian MIPS (e.g. mipsel-elf, mips64el-elf,
> etc.) have _not_ used "traditional MIPS."  People have, however, been
> using them for embedded development for ... who knows how long.  It
> would seem ... unwise to change them to use the "traditional MIPS" abi
> at this point.

Historically, the mips gas had been generating incorrect binaries under
certain conditions until very recently. As the result, libstdc++ was
miscompiled. I don't know what kinds of the impact of the ABI change
will be on none-SGI targets. But for Linux, everything has been very
positive so far. There are no negative impacts I know of. As far as I
can tell, the binutils on Linux/mips had been broken for a long time.
All those fixes, incliuding the ABI change, make a big difference for
us. I am not saying none-SGI targets shouldn't use the SGI ABI. I only
speak for my Linuxx/mips experiences.

H.J.