Re: ld --auto-import for cygwin and libtool

Danny Smith wrote:

> It was backed out because I didn't have the time or the expertise to
> review and test them properly. I wanted it to be exposed to this type
> of public discussion.  Also there was no documentation to point to
> when
> questions arose.

That seems fair.  However, there is quite thorough documentation in a
huge comment block in the source code; perhaps that should be grafted
into the texinfo docs somewhere?  I'll take a look when I get home.

> > Since they were backed out there has been no
> > feedback
> > from the mingw user list asking for re-inclusion.

!!!! So *nobody* had built a dll with the auto-import symbols (e.g.
without __declspec(),) and then had it be unlinkable by client code when
linked by a newer mingw binutils?

Oh, wait.  functions are already auto-imported (by "default") due to a
change about 1.5yrs ago by dj.  Paul's patch really only necessary for
DATA items AFAIRC.  I suppose it is possible that nobody has

a) built a dll that had DATA "exports" using a Paul-style mingw binutils
b) tried to link a client .exe using the current mingw binutils *in the
last six weeks*.

Give it time, though...I think you'll see the problem crop up
eventually. :-(

--Chuck