Re: Extra line of text added to binutils web page

On 9 Aug 2001, Nick Clifton wrote:
>   RMS has asked that I add an extra line of text to the binutils web
>   page.  The revised page now contains this paragraph:
>
>     The binutils have been ported to most major Unix variants
>     as well as Wintel systems, and their main reason for
>     existence is to give the GNU system (and GNU/Linux) the
>     facility to compile and link programs.

I'd suggest amending this to say "has been ported to most
systems" (not just Unix variants) and "their original reason for
existence was to give the GNU system ..." -- but perhaps
"original" is as wrong as "main"; maybe "their main goal is to
give ...".

I might be misinformed, but judging from e.g. the "history"
section in bfd.texinfo there seems to be a bit of history
overlooked.  It seems we can get rid of a lot of cruft if they
exist mainly to serve the GNU systems. :-)

Sorry, just had to share what's on my short-sighted mind;
withholding the slight disagreement seeming a greater sin at
this moment.

brgds, H-P