Re: ld --verbose output

Andrew Haley wrote:

> ld is rather inconsistent when one uses --verbose.  If its linker
> script happens to be builtin, ld --verbose outputs it.  If its script
> is not builtin, ld instead prints out the name of the file in which
> the script may be found.
>
> While this may be all well and good to users, some build scripts
> process the output of --verbose to get a linker script.  glibc does
> this, and if the script happens not to be builtin the build fails.
>
> I think that ld --verbose should behave consistently and always output
> the linker script whether it is builtin or not.  That's what this
> patch does.

It was very annoying to figure out why glibc did not build when the
script was not built-in.  On the other hand, the root cause of the
problem was that binutils was not correctly configured.

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085