Re: Does -march=r5000 imply HAVE_64BIT_GPRS?

ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de ("Thiemo Seufer") writes:
> Of course, in the case of r5000 this makes no difference since it
> has no insns which aren't covered by an ISA (WRT binutils). An
> example might be the VR4100: Restrict it to MIPS II but use it's
> "standby" and "suspend" opcodes. With runtime CPU detection it is
> easy to find a scenario where this makes sense.

right, so, my answer to "how do you do this" is:

-mipsN or -march=XXX sets the file-level flags and default options.

then, if you're doing runtime CPU detection and asm, or whatever, you
should do .set push ; .set whatever ; ... ; .set pop in your asm.

note that that implies the ability to set all of the random arch
values in .set directives like one could historically do .set mipsN.
I don't know if the binutils allow that with the most recent
arch-related patches, but if not, i'd recommend:

	.set arch=XXX

as the syntax.  8-)

cgd