Re: GAS patch for sh*-unknown-linux-gnu

I read your main again, but, sorry, I don't understand your argument.

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
 > It changes the behavior of "sh-*-as" from always using bigendian (except
 > wince) by default into something indeterministically, requiring
 > different flags for different "sh-*-as" variants, introducing additional
 > complication to configurations (configure-scripts), Makefiles etc.

I don't see.  It doesn't touch "Makefiles etc.".  Please look configure.in
scripts, the use of the variable 'endian', and 'cpu_type'.  It's completly
normal use.  I don't add any new things, here.

For our target, sh*-unknown-linux-gnu, we want the default as little
endian.  While WindowsCE only supports little endian, we also support
big endian.

It seems for me that you insists having big endian default for
sh*-unknown-linux-gnu.  If so, no thank you, please.  There're reasons
to do so.  Linux only runs on SH-3 or SH-4 (with MMU) as WindowsCE.
For SH-3 and SH-4, most system adopt little endian, (as Microsoft
requires it), and some hardware feature (such as PCMCIA support) is
not available in big endian.

 > > When little endian is default, we need -big.
 >
 > Well, IMHO the word "need" is false, here.

Wrong.  You just insist, there's another way not to default little
endian.

With little endian default, we need -big option, which is true.