Re: The Linux binutils 2.11.92.0.7 is released.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:34:44PM -0700, Josue Amaro wrote:
> H. J.,
>
> I need some information about the implementation of "-z defs" on ld.
> Does it behave the same way that the Solaris tools do?
> Since -z options were included for Solaris compatibility, shouldn't it
> behave in the same way?

It is supposed to behave the same. But I don't know what Solaris' ld
does when symbols are missing from DSOs being linked against.

> Should -z defs ignore the glibc missing symbols?

The -z defs option in the GNU ld ignores symbols missing from DSOs
being linked against. It is done on purpose. The theory is if you want
to make sure those DSOs are ok, you should build them with -z defs. If
you don't build them, you have to assume they are ok.

H.J.