Re: Who maintains or makes fixes for ld for AIX?

Geoff Keating wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:46:55 -0500
> > From: Kevin Heatwole <kdh@ocsystems.com>
> >
> > I'm fairly new to the GCC scene, but I have a task to make a
> > cross-compiler hosted on LinuxPPC and targeting AIX.
> >
> > I'm running into some bugs that I have yet to track down, but appear to
> > be in either GAS or ld as it deals with entries in the TOC.  For some
> > reason, there are some entries that should just be 32-bit addresses in
> > the TOC and the image ends up with extra an 32-bit zero in between some
> > entries (almost as if the code thinks an address is 64-bit in some
> > instances, but I am dealing with all 32-bit addresses).  The resulting
> > a.out doesn't run and the TOC offsets are really garbage (almost as if
> > the linker thought it had located all 32-bit addresses, but had left
> > unintended gaps in some of them and didn't figure in the gaps in its
> > offset calculations).
> >
> > Anyway, I'd like to exchange a little email with whomever is maintaining
> > ld and as as a cross to AIX.  I'm willing to fix the problems but I
> > don't want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> I don't believe anyone has yet tried using these tools in a _cross_ to
> AIX.  They were developed for use natively on the machine.  However,
> I can't think of any fundamental reason why they shouldn't work, so
> it's probably just bugs, not completely missing features.
>
> A good person to ask is Tom Rix, <trix@redhat.com>.

I have done some hacking to do a x86 linux-x- ppc aix binutils.   The only
big problem you will have is with bfd & core files.   The core routines are
very dependent on the aix system headers.   I spent a little time trying to
unravel the structures but it was a real pain and I moved on.

x86 linux x ppc aix gcc
No big problems.
problem doing -static using /lib/syscalls.exp and friends
need crt0.o

I did this just to eyeball the binaries.  I don't think it ever ran anything
because I have a real aix for that.

Agreeing with Geoff that it is likely bugs.

Tom

--
Tom Rix
GCC Engineer