Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:25:16PM -0800, Eric M. Christopher wrote:

> > > Jim, could you please tell us what the problem is?
> >
> > My Linux kernel needs to be compiled as -mips2, but I also need to use
> > r4100 instructions like 'standby'.  '-march=r4100' won't work by
> > itself because then the ISA level will default to mips3.
>
> In this case I believe that Chris's solution is probably the best then.

Just a comment. What do you suggect we put in the Linux kernel source?
Please keep in mind that the same kernel source is used by different
people with different versions of gcc/binutils. The current binutils
breaks the Linux kernel in 2 ways:

1. The command line is not compatible with the previous version. That is
"-m4100 -mips2" is not allowed any more.
2. It won't generate a working kernel no matter what you do.

I don't believe the binutils should break the existing Linux kernel
source. Chris's solution is ok by itself. But I don't think it is the
right solution for Linux.

H.J.