Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 04:32:47PM -0800, Eric M. Christopher wrote:

> > Let me rephrase it. How do I make gas to accept MIPS 2 ISA plus some
> > intructions for 4100 without changing my source code? FWIW, I can use
> > ".byte ..." for those instructions. But that is not what I am looking
> > for.
>
> What do you mean by MIPS 2?  Why don't you say that you want the
> assembler to accept the r3000 and 4100?  Or, why don't you just accept
> the 4100 instruction set which is what you really want?

I thought 4100 implemented MIPS 3 ISA plus a few and MIPS 3 ISA was a super
set of MIPS 2 ISA. The main issue is 32bit vs. 64bit. The instructions in
MIPS 2 ISA are 32bit. But MIPS 3 ISA is 64bit. I guess the real quetion is
how to generate the 32bit vr4100 binary with the proper setting in the ELF
header without modifying the source code. I guess "-mgp32 -mfp32" may
work. But Jim has to try it.

BTW, I don't quite understand the alias thing for MIPS ISA. I thought
several MIPS CPUs could implement the same ISA. You can generate binaries
for that ISA to run on all MIPS CPUs which implement it. Otherwise, we
may have to have one version of binary for each CPU.

H.J.