Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

H . J . Lu wrote:
[snip]
> Well, we don't have solution for this one anyway. When you do
>
> # as -march=4100
>
> it will accept 4100, which is defined as MIPS 3. That means it will
> take any MIPS 3 instructions. My proposal
>
> # as -march=4100 -mipsN
>
> allows you change the `isa' field in `struct mips_cpu_info' to a
> compatible value at the runtime. It won't accept more instructions
> than
>
> # as -march=4100
>
> I don't see anything wrong with that.

Unfortunately the current behaviour of -mipsX is to select an
processor close to this ISA level. This is compatible with
traditional MIPS assemblers and older gas. Giving it different
semantics instead of deprecating it will make things worse.

Thiemo